Want the heads up when new stories drop? Subscribe Here
Brian Scudamore of O2E brands knew all along that he wanted to be an entrepreneur. Relying on that sense of determination, he’s built up a sprawling multimillion-dollar business empire, with franchises all over the world. But it all began with junk.
To be specific, it all started in a McDonalds drive-thru, with Scudamore sitting in his car trying to figure out how he would pay for college. What he saw was an old pick-up truck filled to the brim with junk, and he immediately knew that this would be his ticket to chase his entrepreneurial dream.
“A week later, I had a business hauling away junk, and that was the way into my job and a career path that’s now been 27 years of pure entrepreneurial passion,” he says.
The first business he founded was 1-800-Got-Junk, which has since turned into multiple franchises all around the world and spun off into three more business in the home services niche. Altogether they generate a revenue of $250 million per year!
But it hasn’t been smooth sailing over the past 27 years, with many ups and downs along the way and some valuable lessons learned. We’re very lucky to learn those lessons directly from Brian today through this week’s podcast episode.
In this interview you will learn:
- How to get your first round of customers within your first day of business
- The secrets to building a successful international franchise
- What the franchise business model looks like and how you can make it work for you
- Why you need to always hire for culture and fit rather than skill
- Traps and pitfalls to look out for when running such a large international conglomerate
- & much more!